ANNOYING PHONE CALLS:
Refers to nuisance calls, obscene calls of various types. These annoying telephone calls range from relatively harmless pranks initiated by children, through offensive and potentially harmful acts, to clearly dangerous threats that must be countered. Nuisance calls are commonly made by children and are probably harmless. You may want to report it to the police. THE BEST ADVICE IS TO SIMPLY HANG UP. Do not encourage a return call. If the calls persist to the point that they become harassment, report it to the police. Caller Line Identification (Caller ID) service is available on your phone that you may find helpful. Obscene calls represent abnormal behavior that could be potentially dangerous. People who make obscene calls find gratification from the response of the recipient. The best initial reaction is to hang up immediately. Telephone companies have recommended that for a woman who has been bothered by obscene calls is to obtain an unlisted telephone number. If obscene calls persist, the police will investigate. An important preliminary step in the investigation is to establish a time pattern for the calls. This will assist the police in apprehending the caller.
CRIME PROOFING YOUR HOME:
Residential break and enters are all too common occurrences in most Cities. One fact remains consistent: each home, unless suitably secured, will offer the opportunity for a break, enter and theft to occur. The various points of entry to a home are the potential target areas through which a burglar/thief can gain access to your home and valuables. An opportunistic thief looks for the target offering the least amount of security and resistance to reduce his chances of detection. Every home owner must take into consideration the weaknesses presented by their home and identify the target areas requiring attention. For example a door with a lock in the knob should be re-enforced with an auxiliary lock. A garage with a direct access to a residence should be secured while the home owner is away for any length of time. The following information provides the home owner with basic information about techniques to secure doors and windows. Some require the expertise of a locksmith and others are do-it-yourself methods. Any decision regarding security improvements should be carefully appraised by taking lifestyle, home location, and budget into consideration.
Through The Door Viewers - To avoid opening your door without knowing who is there, install a through door viewer with a wide angle lens (180 degree). This will allow you to see someone standing to one side of the door. These devices are inexpensive and will adjust to varying door thickness.
Letter Boxes - The accumulation of newspapers and mail in an undersized Letter box not only exposes them to the elements but also indicates to burglars that no one is home to retrieve the deliveries. A large Letter box will protect the mail and serve to keep it out of sight of would-be burglars.
Householder’s identification - House numbers should be large, visible and lighted at night to help emergency personnel locate your home quickly. The same type of number mounted at the rear of the house will help those approaching from a back lane or street. To make them more visible, the numbers should be made in a contrasting color to their background.
Part of being a good neighbor means keeping a friendly eye out for each other, or being alert to occasions when help might be needed. A hundred years ago, this was common practice. Survival, after all, depended on co-operative support, but this aspect or our heritage has changed. Today we rely on professionals to do things for us, so it seems only natural that we've gradually transferred to an expanding law enforcement network. Ironically, Crime has grown faster than the police agencies we've established to "look after" it. Recent evidence suggests that no matter how much money is poured into increasing police patrols and investigations, crime rates will not decrease proportionately. Clearly, it is time that we tried a fresh approach and the easiest and most obvious place to start is by being good neighbors, willing to help protect each other’s interests. This is the prime objective of "Neighborhood Watch". On the right is the symbol on the signs as you enter a Neighborhood Watch area. Neighborhood Watch is a Community - based crime prevention program, organized and operated by concerned residents in any neighborhood. The purpose of the program is to encourage all residents in the program to become more aware of criminal activities which have occurred or which or might occur in the area; to be alert to suspicious persons or vehicles, and to be assertive of their right to enjoy a safe and secure neighborhood, free of crime. This, accompanied by steps to improve home security greatly reduces the occurrence of property crime. Neighborhood Watch does not however, advocate citizen patrols or vigilantism. The police are still responsible for the confrontation of suspicious individuals and making any necessary arrests. The end result of a well run Neighborhood Watch Program is an atmosphere of "unity of purpose," improved community spirit and a reduction in crime.
CYBER CRIME & PREVENTION:
Cyber Crime may be defined in a general way as an unlawful act wherein the computer is either a tool or a target or both.
Unauthorized Access unauthorized access to computer systems or networks means any person who secures access or attempts to secure access to a protected system.
Email bombing Email bombing refers to sending a large amount of emails to the victim resulting in the victim's email account (in case of an individual) or mail server (in case of a company or an email service provider) crashing.
Data diddling: This kind of an attack involves altering the raw data just before it is processed by a computer and then changing it back after the processing is completed.
Salami attack this attack is used for the commission of financial crimes. The key here is to make the alteration so insignificant that in a single case it would go completely unnoticed, e.g. a bank employee inserts a program into the bank's servers that deducts a small amount of money (say Rs.5 a month) from the account of every customer. No single account holder will probably notice this unauthorized debit, but the bank employee will make a sizable amount of money every month.
Read About Cyber Law of
Virus / worm attack Virus is a program that attach it selves to a computer or a file and then circulate it selves to other files and to other computers on a network. They usually affect the data on a computer, either by altering or deleting it. Worms, unlike viruses do not need the host to attach themselves to. They merely make functional copies of themselves and do this repeatedly till they eat up all the available space on a computer's memory.
Trojan attack A Trojan, the program is aptly called an unauthorized program which functions from inside what seems to be an authorized program, thereby concealing what it is actually doing.
Denial of service attack this involves flooding a computer resource with more requests than it can handle. This causes the resource (e.g. a web server) to crash thereby denying authorized users the service offered by the resource.
Distributed denial of Service attack this is a denial of service attack wherein the perpetrators are many and are geographically widespread. It is very difficult to control such attacks.
Email Spoofing a spoofed email is one that appears to originate from one source but actually has been sent from another source.
Intellectual Property Crime This includes software piracy, copyright. Infringement, trademarks violations etc.Cyber Stalking The
Your Email/Mobile has won some Million Pounds
If you are receiving this kind of messages please try to ignore it , do not reply them as they are 100% fraud people, please report all the details to the nearest police station. Some examples of Mails are given below Example 1
FROM: MR GEORGE KABORE, REPLY SO WE CAN PULL THE FUND. Please read carefully,
This message might meet you in utmost
surprise. However, it's just my urgent need for foreign partner
that made me to contact you for this transaction. I got your
contact from yahoo tourist search while I was searching for a
foreign partner. I assured of your capability and reliability to
champion this business opportunity when I prayed about you. I am
a banker by profession in BURKINA-FASO,
Hence; I am inviting you for a business deal where this money can be shared between us in the ratio of 60/40 if you agree to my business proposal. Further details of the transfer will be forwarded to you as soon as I receive your return mail immediately as soon as you receive this letter. Please indicate your willingness by sending the below information for more clarification and easy communication. For more details, Contact me for more details.
(1) YOUR FULL NAME................................ (2) YOUR AGE AND SEX............................ (3) YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS.................. (4) YOUR TEL AND FAX NUMBER.............. (5) YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN..................
Trusting to hear from you immediately. Thanks & Best Regards, MR GEORGE KABORE, Please Reply To This E-Mail Address, ( email@example.com )
How are you today I hope that every things is ok with you as it is my great pleasure to contact you in having communication with you starting from today, Although you might be apprehensive about my email as we have not met before and this mail is not meant to implicate you or put you into any form of problem. This however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honour against your will. I would like you to read on and consider the value I offer please i wish you will have the desire with me so that we can get to know each other better and see what happened in future. I am a girl of about 23years old, I believe that age, race or language can not be a barrier to a true love, I am
honestly looking for a sincere, honest and God's fearing man for a long term relationship that may lead to any better thing in future. I will be very happy if you can write me through this email for easiest communication and to know all about each other, and also give you my pictures and details about me. I will be waiting to hear from you as i wish you all the best for your day.your new friend Catha
THE COCA COLA COMPANY
PROMOTION/PRIZE AWARD DEPT
THE COCA COLA COMPANY OFFICIAL PRIZE NOTIFICATION We are pleased to inform you of the result of the just concluded annual final draws held on the (3rd, June 2010) by Coca-Cola in conjunction with the British American Tobacco Worldwide Promotion, your email was among the 20 Lucky winners who won £1,000,000.00 each on the COCA'COLA COMPANY PROMOTION.
However the results were released on Friday,11,JUNE,2010 and your email was attached to ticket number (7PWYZ2006) and ballot number (BT:12052006/20The online draws was conducted by a random selection of email. addresses from an exclusive list of 29,031 E-mail addresses of individuals and corporate bodies picked by an advanced automated random computer search from the internet.
However, no tickets were sold but all email addresses were assigned to different ticket numbers for representation and privacy. The selection process was carried out through random selection in our computerized email selection machine (TOPAZ) from a database of over 250,000 email addresses drawn from all the continents of the world.
This Lottery is approved by the British Gaming Board and also Licensed by the International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR).This lottery is the 3rd of its kind and we intend to sensitize the public. In other to claim your £1,000,000.00 POUNDS prize winning!, Please contact our fiduciary agent for claims with the contact below Agent.
MR. WILLIAM GORE
Telephone: +44 7017 035461
PAYMENT OF PRIZE AND CLAIM
1. Full name..............
3. Contact Address........
4. Telephone Number.......
5. Marital Status.........
Congratulations!! once again.
Contact Person:Mrs. Carolyn Rex
PERSONAL SAFETY:Awareness of the following crime prevention pointers, combined with your own common sense, can help make crime-proofing your way of life. Trust your instincts. If your sixth sense tells you to be wary, pay attention.
1. Be careful where you walk. Avoid lonely or unlit streets and unfamiliar short cuts. Walk on the curb side, away from alleys and doorways. It is dangerous to hitchhike and to involve yourself with strangers who are hitching a ride. Once trapped inside the car, it is difficult to call for assistance.
2. Inform others when and where you are going and check in with them when you reach your destination. Don't let strangers into your house. Insist on proper identification from service personnel. If someone asks to use your phone, offer to make the call for them instead.
3. If you suspect you are being followed, cross the street, go to the nearest house or store and call the police. Scream if necessary. If you live alone, use first initials only on mail boxes, apartment directories or the phone book.
4. Remember to report crimes or suspicious activities. Putting crime prevention into action helps contribute to your peace of mind and enjoyment of your community.
5. If you have been sexually assaulted it is important you call the police immediately. DO NOT bother to change clothes. Remember, sexual assault is ANY unwanted act of a sexual nature imposed by one person on another. It is a crime, even if it happens in a marriage or dating relationship. Sexual assault happens to men as well as women. The following precautions will help you to prevent sexual assault. They are preventive measures to enhance your safety generally.
Entrances and garages should be well lit.
Never stay alone in apartment laundry rooms, mail rooms or garages.
if you return home and find your windows or doors tampered with, DO NOT ENTER OR CALL OUT. Go to a neighbor and call police.
Never admit, on the telephone or at your door that you are alone.
Try to avoid waiting or getting off at isolated stations if alone. Arrange for a family member to escort you to and from station.
Not all sexual assaults happen in "dangerous" places such as dark alleys or parking lots. Many sexual assaults are committed by persons known to the victim. The following tips will also help prevent a sexual assault;
Use caution in conversations with a person you have just met. Avoid giving your address or place of employment. It is risky to accept a ride home and an invitation for a late night offer of a drink from someone you just met.
If you feel menaced in a one-on-one situation, act at once, even if you must leave your home.
SERVANT SAFETY TIPS:Hire qualified / experienced chowkidars only.
Check the antecedents / credentials of chowkidars and domestic servants before hiring them. Insist on references from their previous employers.
Furnish their full particulars to your police station in the format suggested by them. .. Always employ different chowkidars for day and night duties.
Brief all the security men/ chowkidars/ lift men about various aspects of security. some of them are ....
1. To make enquiry if a taxi or autorikshaw is seen parked inside the compound or outside the building for a long time.
2. To make enquiry with the people bringing in or taking out heavy parcels, suitcases, etc.
3. Inform Police in case they find any vehicle parked inside the building (if ownership is not known) for a long time.
All the residents of the locality should be briefed on the following :-
1. That whenever they employ any new servant, police station should be informed. His photographs, fingerprints and other
details must be obtained and verified.
2. Whenever any family plans to go out of the city for a long time, they should inform Police, so that special watch can be kept.
3. They should be advised to install a door with iron bars inside the flat, superior quality night latches and special eye lens on
the main door, so that the door is opened only after identifying the visitors. Ideally, interaction with strangers and vendors
should be through the grilled door. Also install a high wattage light source with pilfer proof cover outside the main door.
4. They should not keep huge cash, valuable ornaments etc., in the house but may use bank lockers.
5. They should avoid discussing money transactions and other important family matters in the presence of servants/ outsiders.6. They should not humiliate the servants on petty matters. Nor should they penalize them for small damages.
Citizens are requested that information regarding any suspicious activities, abandoned vehicles, articles, and other objects be promptly communicated to the police at the nearest police station or on telephone Number - 100. The police also be informed of any strangers who may have come to stay in your neighborhood and whose activities appear suspicious. Information given by citizens regarding any suspicious persons and their activities will be kept confidential. The police will continue to organize nakabandis, combing and search operations and therefore citizens are requested to cooperate and bear with inconvenience, if any.
Citizens may please note the following precautions:
1. Stay calm and do not get panicky.
2. Discourage rumor mongering Do not touch any unidentified object. Explosive could be concealed in anything like toys, transistors, lunch boxes.
3. Do not accept any parcel from strangers. Sensitize all your family members, especially children.
4. Ensure that you roll up all windows and quarter glasses of the vehicle and lock up the vehicle every time you park it. Bonnet and dickey should also be properly secured.
5. Before opening a car door, make sure that its dickey, bonnet, doors have not been tempered with. If there is any suspicion, help of local police should be taken.
6. Pass on information about the abandoned vehicles; articles etc. promptly to the police at the nearest police station or on phone number 100 or crime police help line in major cities at phone number 1090.
The house You're Letting out could become a Home for Criminals.........
1. Keep the complete Record of Your Tenants.
2. Have the identity and bonafide of the person established before letting out your house to him. Note down his address and intimate the fact to the nearest police station. If he was staying at some other place check up from his earlier landlord if what he says is correct.
3. Never accept gifts from strangers, nor parcels delivered which were not ordered.
4. Be suspicious of change of postman, milkman or other regular delivery personnel.
5. A dog is an asset for home security. A barking dog will discourage intruders and also warn you of their presence. A stranger's door bell without barking of the dog is a suspect. Look for the dog before answering the door.
6. Inform the police of the presence of any suspicious vehicle or person near your home. Note the physical characteristics of the persons, description and registration number of such vehicles.
7. Don't ignore any suspicious incident or person in the vicinity. Inform police about them. Dial 100, In case of any Suspicious Activity.
YOUTH & DRUGS :
"How do I know if my child is abusing drugs or alcohol?"
If you find drugs or items such as smoking pipes, it is a strong indication that your child is using or experimenting with drugs. Behavior is another indicator. Watch for:
Abrupt mood swings or attitude changes. Sudden decline in attendance or performance at work or school. Sudden resistance to discipline at home or school. Poor relationship with family and friends. Unusual temper tantrums. Borrowing money from friends and relatives. Stealing from home, school or work. Increased secrecy about actions or possessions. Hanging out with new group of friends (especially ones who use drugs)
These behaviors may indicate drug use but they may also indicate normal growing pains. The best way to know for sure is to observe your child, get to know his or her friends, but most importantly, TALK. Communication is essential for your child's growth and safety. If you know that your child is taking drugs, take action and do not ignore the problem. Explain the harmful effects of drugs, including the long-term effects to one's physical, social and mental well-being.